Check out this unique savory Pumpkin Salsa recipe to satisfy your pumpkin craving. It is sure to be a hit at your next fall gathering!
I am a huge fan of pumpkins. Pumpkin puree is available all year long, but I cannot start consuming pumpkin until September. It truly is the taste of fall.
Recently, I found some pumpkin seed tortilla chips in the store. Of course, I had to purchase them and see they taste. They have a little bit of a pumpkin pie taste, but not overly sweet. They have a multi-grain taste and texture. I tried them with some regular salsa and they were good, but I wanted more flavor.
Inspiration struck to create a pumpkin spice salsa. The recipe uses canned pumpkin, so this is a smooth rather than chunky salsa. I am pleased with how it turned out.
Pumpkin Salsa Recipe
This pumpkin spice recipe uses the following ingredients.
- diced tomatoes,
- canned pumpkin
- red onion
- lemon or lime juice
- salt & pepper
I went the quick route, but it would be easy to fresh tomatoes, pumpkin, garlic, and lemon in this unique salsa recipe. Use extra pumpkin puree from this recipe in these Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins.
How to Make Fall Harvest Salsa
This vegan recipe is easy to make. Get the details at the bottom of this post.
- Chop the fresh ingredients in a food processor.
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan.
- Cook the pumpkin mixture for 30 minutes.
- Cool the salsa.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips.
This savory pumpkin sauce can be canned. Add a pretty Autumn ribbon to the jar and make it a gift along with a bag of tortilla chips. I have gifted it and my friends really enjoyed it.
I thought this would be spicy, but it was not. It is similar to the cranberry salsa that I make. I used one small jalapeno when I first made this recipe, but I do not think that was enough of a kick. The pumpkin seems to cool down the pepper. I have adjusted the recipe to include more jalapeno.
Nearly all pumpkin recipes out there are sweet, but this one is not. Are you going to try it out?
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 C cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 small jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 T lime or lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Place the tomato, red onion, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeno in a food processor or blender and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring the pan to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, add a lid, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Store the mixture in a jar with a lid in the refrigerator.
This pumpkin salsa can be canned for future use.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 14Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g