Check out this tasty low carb alternative to traditional mac and cheese called Mockafoni.
For the last several years I have tried to to eat less carbs. I’m able to control my weight and therefore my health with a lower carbohydrate diet. Here is one of our favorite recipes that I found at Linda’s Low Carb Recipe site. I serve this as a main dish, so I double Linda’s recipe with a few tweaks.
Mockfoni & Cheese Recipe
This recipe uses fresh or frozen cauliflower, heavy cream, cream cheese and cheddar cheese. While I show mild cheddar cheese in the photo, I prefer to use sharp cheddar cheese in casseroles. They just have a bolder taste. This recipe is prepped in the microwave and then baked in the oven. The prep is not too difficult at all. We’ve taken it to potlucks and it disappears, even when people know it’s cauliflower and not macaroni. Kids like it too!
- two 16 ounce bags frozen or two heads fresh cauliflower
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3-4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the cauliflower until tender and then drain it.
- In a 9×13 casserole dish; soften the cream cheese in the microwave for 90 seconds on HIGH. Whisk in the heavy cream until smooth, then stir in about 2 cups of the cheddar cheese.
- Microwave on MEDIUM about 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the cauliflower and stir to coat.
- Top with the remaining cheese and bake at 350º for 35 minutes, until bubbly and brown on top.
- Let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving.