Enjoy this Gluten-Free Apple Cranberry Crisp this season. It is perfect for any holiday meal, although it makes a great breakfast too. Cranberry Apple Muffins are also a great choice for breakfast.
It is one of my favorite times of the year; cranberry season! I love just about anything cranberry. It makes me sad that the cranberry season is so short, but I lengthen it by freezing fresh cranberries to use all year. I have found that fresh frozen cranberries are best when cooked. For raw recipes such as Cranberry Relish or Cranberry Salsa, do not use berries that have been frozen.
This recipe is very delicious! I like it better than my Instant Oatmeal Cranberry Crisp. I will probably double the recipe the next time I make it because it disappears quickly.
Why I love this Vegan Cranberry Apple Crisp
This recipe is:
- Completely plant-based
- Naturally sweetened
- Fulfilling of 5 Daily Dozen Servings
Vegan Apple Cranberry Crisp Ingredients
This flourless apple crisp recipe calls for the following ingredients. I have divided this recipe up into two parts; the fruit base and the top crust.
- raisins (regular or golden)
- 100% juice (I used apple)
- maple syrup
- apple pie spice
- small pearl tapioca
- rolled oats
- baking powder
- chia seeds
- coconut yogurt
- date paste
Daily Dozen Guide
Since switching to a plant-based diet, I keep track of nutrition using Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen. This recipe checks off the following from the Daily Dozen:
- Other Fruits
- Nuts & Seeds
- Herbs & Spices
- Whole Grains
How to Make Gluten-Free Apple Cranberry Crisp
- Mix the fruit base ingredients and cook until thickened.
- Combine the oat topping ingredients.
- Transfer the fruit base into a baking dish.
- Spread the topping over the fruit.
- Bake in a 350° oven.
Combine and Cook the Fruit Base
Apple is the base of this recipe. Use your favorite varieties of apple. I used a Honeycrisp and a few Granny Smith. My preference is to leave the peel on the apples.
Apple juice is my preferred 100% juice for this recipe, but cran-apple, orange, or pear would also work. Just make sure there is no added sugar!
Small Pearl Tapoica is used to help hold the fruit mixture together as it bakes. It is a thickener that allows you to cut into this gluten-free cranberry apple crisp and serve it without the filling running. I will try tapioca in my Cranberry Pepper Jam the next time I made it.
How to Make Apple Pie Spice Mix
This cranberry recipe calls for a teaspoon of apple pie spice. Buy it mixed or make your own. The following ingredients make 1 tablespoon of apple pie spice. Save the extra mix for future recipes.
- 1½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of allspice
- ¼ teaspoon of cardamom
Make the Crunch Topping
Plant-based yogurt is used in the topping. It can be coconut, soy or a nut yogurt. Coconut yogurt will yield a richer topping.
Date Paste Sweetener
Dates serve as the sweetener in the topping of this Healthy Cranberry Apple Crisp. This paste is easy to make. Remove pits from dates, soak in hot water, then blend the dates and some of the water in a high-speed blender.
How to Store This Dessert
If you possibly have any of this recipe leftover, it should be covered and stored in the refrigerator. It is just as tasty cold as warm, so eat it right out of the fridge.
I hope you enjoy this amazing gluten-free dessert! Freeze a few packages of cranberry so that you can make it year around.
- 4 cups of apples
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ cup frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon small pearl tapioca
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup coconut yogurt
- ½ cup date paste
- If using raisins, soak them in hot water while you prep the rest of the ingredients. Drain the water before adding to the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Core the apples, then chop or slice. It is optional to remove the peel. I prefer to keep the peel on.
- Stir all the apple mixture ingredients together a medium saucepan.
- Cook the apple mixture over medium-high heat, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Mix all the crunch topping ingredients together in a bowl and stir until incorporated.
- Place the apple-cranberry mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart (8x8 inch) baking dish.
- Spread the topping evenly over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Let the crisp cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Cover and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 6g