Do you love churros? Come see how easy it is to create a churro cinnamon poke cake.
Each week we get together with friends to watch one of the Bachelor shows. Since Bachelor in Paradise was filmed in Mexico, we decided to have a fiesta themed Labor Day dinner last night. I was in charge of the in main dish and dessert. My friends love testing my dessert creations featured here at Diana Rambles, so I knew I needed to make something new. My husband suggested churros. That inspired me to create this cinnamon sugar tres leches style poke cake.
Cinnamon Poke Cake Recipe
I love taking cake mixes and turning them into something special. This recipe was no exception to that. I started with a yellow cake mix and added some cinnamon and Mexican vanilla. The house smelled heavenly after this came out of the oven. I had to tell my family to keep away from it!
- yellow cake mix
- eggs, oil, water (ingredients listed on the box)
- 1 tsp Mexican vanilla
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 container whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions, adding the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Place in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix the 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the cake batter.
- Bake the cake for the longest time listed, so that the edges of the cake get crispy.
- Let the cake cook completely.
- With the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the cake about an inch apart.
- Slowly pour the tres leches (3 milks) into the holes in the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake until the liquid is absorbed into the cake.
- Mix in the teaspoon of cinnamon in with the thawed whipped topping.
- Frost the cake with the whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Store cake in refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 5 Carbohydrates: 1g
This cake was so delicious. It’s like an explosion of cinnamon in your mouth. Many people had a second piece. While we had this part of a fiesta-themed celebration, this cake would be good at any party.
Do you like cinnamon? Have you ever had a churro?