Here is an easy Cheesy Zucchini Sausage Casserole recipe that is perfect for zucchini fresh from the garden.Yesterday, my neighbor brought over a huge zucchini from her garden. Immediately I starting thinking of how I was going to get my family to eat it. Overall they are not super picky, but it’s better to not tell them what is in a recipe. They love cheese and sausage, so I created this Cheesy Zucchini Sausage Casserole recipe. When I pulled it out of the oven they thought I used potatoes. I did tell them it wasn’t potato and they still gobbled it down.
Cheesy Zucchini Sausage Casserole
The ingredients for this casserole are pretty simple. I made it using a 12″ cast iron skillet, but you could as easily bake it in a 9×13″ casserole dish. I used mild country sausage, which I thought was spicy enough. If you like the heat, then grab some hot sausage.
- 2 pounds ground country sausage
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook the ground sausage with the minced garlic and chopped onion.
- While the sausage is cooking, mix the diced zucchini and eggs in a large bowl and set aside.
- When the sausage is cooked, drain the grease.
- Add the zucchini mixture to the skillet and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the cheese is crisp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 17gCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 23g
How easy does that look? Would your family eat this? If they are not fans of zucchini, then make it with regular or sweet potato.