Ditch the bun and enjoy and enjoy Cheeseburger Cole Slaw.
I have a new recipe to share with you. It’s something I created by accident. I set out to make cheeseburgers on a bed of lettuce, but I didn’t have any lettuce in the house. We always have shredded cabbage slaw on hand, so Cheeseburger Cole Slaw was created. I played around with seasonings but got it right the first time. This goes together pretty quickly.
Cheeseburger Cole Slaw
I have a standard cole slaw recipe that I make with packaged slaw, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, mustard, onion, and honey. I used that recipe here but increased the amount of mustard and onion to mimic a cheeseburger. The key to the burger part of this recipe is to be heavy handed with the seasoning!
Prepare the Cole slaw as noted in the recipe below. My measurements do not account for the extra mustard and onion. I just added a little extra of each. With the Cole slaw, it’s best if you mix all the ingredients except the slaw together and then stir in the shredded cabbage.
Cook the hamburger meat in a skillet over medium-high heat. Do not break the meat apart very much. It should be in bite size chunks. Put several shakes of your spices on the meat while it’s cooking. I a lot on at first and then a little more when I flipped the meat over. Once the meat is cooked through, it’s time to assemble the dish.
Place your desired amount of Cole slaw in a bowl. Put chopped pickle and tomato on top of the slaw. Place the cooked meat on top. Sprinkle shredded cheese on the top of the cheeseburger. That’s it. Super simple! Try not to devour all of it right away.
This is going to be a frequent dish in our house this summer. The contrast of the prepared Cole slaw and the burger meat is fantastic. My only problem is that I get a stomach because I overeat each time we have it. Are you going to make this?
- 12 oz bag of coleslaw
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp minced onion flakes
- 2-3 tsp honey
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp steak seasoning
- shredded cheese
- Place all ingredients, except for the slaw, in a bowl with a lid.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the package of slaw to the wet mixture.
- Place the lid on the bowl and shake. I find shaking is the best way to get the slaw coated.
- Remove lid and stir to make sure the slaw is evenly coated.
- Cook the hamburger meat in a skillet over medium-high heat. Do not break the meat apart very much. It should be in bite size chunks.
- Add several shakes of your spices to the meat while it's cooking. I a lot on at first and then a little more when I flipped the meat over.
- While the meat is cooking, dice the pickles and tomatoes.
- Place Cole slaw in a bowl.
- Place chopped pickle and tomato on top of the slaw.
- Layer the cooked meat on top.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on the top of the cheeseburger.